Sunday, December 5, 2010

November 28 : Day of Celebration and Remembrance

November 28 is a very special day for every member of our family. It is both a happy and a sad-memorable occasion for Vedarozaga and Pobre families.

2 years ago of the same date, we were celebrating my husband’s birthday at Muang Thai Restaurant in Malakas cor. Matalino street. A family affair, me, my husband, Aizen, his nanny, and a couple of friends and in the middle of our birthday dinner, my mobile phone rang. It was my mom saying my sister was rushed at the Lung Center of the Philippines and currently inside the surgery room because of a blood clot in her brain veins. I was shocked and wanted to rush immediately at the hospital. A month later, my sister, Myla L. Pobre had gone with our Lord, never to recover from her comma. That was one of the most dreadful thing I felt.

Though that painful day is also a happy day. Thirty years ago, a baby boy was delivered and given by Heavenly Father. That same baby grew up to be a fine man with principle, dignity, perspective to life and love-fear to God.

As to these significant occasions, we decided to celebrate the latter story but could still remember in silence the first. Differing the planned dine-out with both our moms and our family, we decided to just have a family lunch at our home considering that my brother’s family arrived from Nueva Ecija. Both our nephews are present and the whole abode was chaotic because of the noise, chats and laughs.

Alfred wasn’t at our home at first due to some marathon events, so I have some time to fix everything without him saying “no need” or “H’wag na ‘by...”. With him not around, I was able to cook some dishes like Sweet Spaghetti for long life and for the children as well, Adobo with pineapples and re-cook some dishes. He arrived near noon and got some white mussels.



I planned it to be a surprise. A month before, I saw some cakes done by my elementary classmate, Maureen Lozano Dela Cruz, and was amazed on her creations. With the help of Facebook, I was able to contact her and tried to collaborate on a simple cake but with wow factor. Since my husband’s hobby is running and joining marathons; and whenever he uses his Vibram Five Fingers shoes, lots of people bugging us where we got the shoes, I settled on using it as the cake’s main décor theme.


Maureen and I were practically neighbors that we never knew of. At noon and a half of the 28th, we met-up at our community Catholic church and finally got the ordered cake. It was fantastic and really looks good. I was ecstatic to show it to him confident that he will love the cake as I do. As soon as I got into our home, I showed it to him and immediately, a smile surfaced on his face. Our son kept shouting “cake! cake!” and wanted to play with it. My sister kept on saying that Maureen was insane because of the detailed creation of the shoes.


We had our celebratory lunch and still, kept on discussing about the possible pain-staking hours was given to the cake to be able to come out such a real-like edible topper. It was a nice lunch and fun. I just hope, it will be like this next year and the years to follow….forever. With our family, the people we love.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For personalized cakes, you may contact
Anne Maureen Dela Cruz
of
Maui Cakes
at +639214048608 or Email Address: annemau008@yahoo.com

2 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby,Alfredo!

MOMMI_teach said...

Thanks, Peach! It's not often we were able to celebrate his birthday with cake. hehehe